Changing the "ulimit" settings on Windows involves making changes to the Windows registry.
(When making changes to the registry always ensure you have a backup prior to modifications)
To increase the "maxOpenFiles", follow these steps:
1. Log on with the "Administrator" id.
2. Click Start -> Run -> regedit.
3. Navigate the registry to the node as follows:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Services for Unix
4. If "MaxOpenFiles" exists, go to step 6.
5. If "MaxOpenFiles" does not exist, click Edit -> New -> DWORD value and type "MaxOpenFiles" for the name.
6. Double-click "MaxOpenFiles".
7. Change the base to Decimal.
8. Enter the value data (ex. 3000 for ulimit -n 3000).
9. Close Registry Editor.
10. Restart Windows.
Verify that the value has changed by logging on to the SFU korn shell and doing a "ulimit -a" command.